What is In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)?
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) is an assisted reproductive technology (ART) commonly referred to as IVF. It is a complex series of procedures used to help with fertility or prevent genetic problems and assist with the conception of a child. During IVF, mature eggs are collected (retrieved) from ovaries and fertilized by sperm in a lab. IVF is the process of fertilization by extracting eggs, retrieving a sperm sample, and then manually combining an egg and sperm in a laboratory dish. The embryo(s) is then transferred to the uterus.
Key Things to Know:
- IVF focuses on couples struggling with infertility problems
- IVF prevents genetic problems and assists with conception
- IVF includes a combination of medicines and surgical procedures
- IVF monitors and stimulates a woman’s ovulatory process
- IVF facilitates the fertilization of the egg by the sperm in a laboratory
- IVF assists the sperm in fertilizing the egg and also implant it in the uterus
- IVF could work in the first try or take more than one round to get pregnant
- IVF stimulates fertility and works differently for everyone
Why go for IVF?
- IVF works where other infertility treatments fail
- You can use donated eggs and/or sperm to get pregnant
- It can be used by anybody
- You have complete control over the timing of pregnancy
- Increase your chances of having a healthy baby
- Decrease your chances of miscarriage
- Increase your chances of conception
What Are The Steps Involved?
- STEP 1: Tests & Diagnosis
- STEP 2: Ovarian Stimulation
- STEP 3: Egg Retrieval
- STEP 3: Sperm Retrieval
- STEP 4: Fertilization
- STEP 5: Embryo Transfer
- Is IVF safe?
Yes, IVF is generally considered extremely safe and is recommended by experts around the world for couples who have difficulty conceiving.
- Am I candidate for IVF?
If you and your husband have been trying to have a baby for a while now, but have not been able to due to multiple reasons such as PCOS or low sperm count, you qualify as a candidate for IVF.
- Can IVF cause complications for my next pregnancy?
IVF has proven to be extremely safe and effective. This means that it bears no effects on your future pregnancies.
- Can I go back to work after the IVF procedure?
It is recommended to take the prescribed medicines and take appropriate rest. However, most patients resume daily activities soon after the procedure.
- What other precautions do I need to take?
It is recommended to avoid rigorous exercise. Folic acid consumption is necessary after the surgery. Doctors also recommend avoiding heat and hot baths.
- Can IVF be done multiple times?
There have been cases where IVF has been successful multiple times and even cases where women were able to conceive naturally after an IVF treatment.