Dr. Anil Khetarpal
MS, FAIS, FICS, FIMA, FIAGES
Founder & Director – Khetarpal Hospital, New Delhi
Laparoscopic, Endoscopic & Bariatric Surgeon
Degrees – MBBS, MS, FAIS, FICS, FACS, FIMSA, FIAGES
Areas of Expertise – Laparoscopic, Endoscopic, Bariatric & Endo-Urology Surgeon
Language(s) – Hindi / English
Dr. Anil Khetarpal (Born on October 2, 1954) was born in The Command Hospital at the Armed Forces Medical College in Pune, India. Incidentally, his birthday coincides with that of Mahatma Gandhi, the Father of the Nation. As a toddler, he was diagnosed with Neonatal Jaundice which was cured by an interventional procedure called Exchange Transfusion. At an early age, he was also diagnosed with Polio and both his lower limbs were affected. Astonishingly, home remedies such as herbal medications, electro-stimulation sessions, hot-oil massages, hot fomentation along with Faith Healing took effect and helped him to walk gradually and eventually overcome Polio. He was also affected by a kidney condition called urethral stenosis. With effective treatment at AIIMS, he was able to be completely cured.
Dr. Anil’s late father, Shri Ram Prakash Khetarpal, was deployed by the Indian Air Force and served India in four wars, including the Indo-China War in 1962 and Indo-Pakistani War in 1965. He was a man of courage and valor and was also awarded the ‘Vayusena Medal’ from the 2nd Prime Minister of India, Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri. Dr. Anil Khetarpal and the whole Khetarpal family is proud of his father’s life and the lessons he learnt from him.
Hear From Dr. Anil Khetarpal
Dr. Anil’s late father, Shri Ram Prakash Khetarpal, was a member of the Indian Air Force. Dr. Anil’s mother was a homemaker and played a crucial role in the development of Dr. Anil as an individual. She was an intelligent and astute personality who was the stronghold of the family. Dr. Anil also has an elder brother, Dr. Vinod Khetarpal. As a family, serving the country meant that transfers and moving to pastures new was not uncommon. In one peculiar year, they moved from Pune to Delhi; then from Delhi to Halwara; then from Halwara to Ambala; and finally from Ambala to Jodhpur. Dr. Anil Khetarpal got married to Mrs. Renu Khetarpal, who also belonged to a defence background and was a family friend of the Khetarpals. He is blessed with 2 wonderful children – Smita & Ayush. His elder daughter, Dr. Smita Khetarpal is a Gynaecologist and Obstetrician at Khetarpal Hospital and his younger son, Dr. Ayush Khetarpal is a Urologist, both practicing at Khetarpal Hospital. He is a loving father and embodies the words ‘a family man’. He has sacrificed a tremendous amount of time and energy into his family.
While it may seem that Dr. Anil Khetarpal has no life beyond the walls of my hospital but the truth is that he loves his work too much and is in a position to call the shots that are purely altruistic in nature. His emotions are attached with every brick that was laid in the foundation and he has worked relentlessly to create an environment where both the rich and the poor can get the best of health care. His ultimate dream is to make the hospital a place where things are done proactively for the patients’ comfort and this is what provides him with the gratification he craves, meaning for his life, and the best way to give back to the society. A majority of the patient base at Khetarpal Hospital belongs to the lower socio-economic strata, they feel comfortable consulting with Dr. Anil and he enjoys the blind faith of such deprived people. He feels blessed enough to have done some good karma in his life through relentless humanitarian efforts which enable him to charge them at significantly lower rates and discounts compared to the usual tariff list.
For poor patients, he has offered 30%-40% discounts when any outsourced investigation was required, and to the middle-class patients, he offered 20%-25% discounts. This was helping him render his patients with cheaper healthcare and all he asked in return was their prayers and goodwill. Countless times, Dr. Anil has denied charging the hospital bill from his patients purely because he didn’t feel like charging him. Sometimes due their poor financial state and at other times, he simply wanted to extend a helping hand. He has also been organized Free Health Camps at frequent intervals so that the population from Low Socio-Economic levels can avail substantial benefits.
Dr. Anil is also associated with many Charitable Associations and Institutions such as Patron and Medical Advisor viz. Maharaja Darshan Das Charitable Trust, New Delhi and with other charitable NGOs and institutions such as CRY (Child Relief and You) and HelpAge India.
Unfortunate incidents have a way of making a person stronger and helps reinforce your faith in a supreme spiritual power. He was born into the Aryasamaj faith but in the middle of a difficult time, he visited Vrindavan and prayed to Lord Krishna with folded hands, closed eyes, and a turbulent mind. In that moment, he forgot his pain and the only thing my mind his could focus on was the power of divine connection and felt that a weight had been lifted off his shoulders. Lord Krishna, at that moment, was my source of infinitesimal inspiration. Since that day, Dr. Anil has been a faithful devotee of the Lord Krishna and celebrates Janmashtmi with utmost aplomb, while fasting and praying. He believes that there is an abyssal source of power and astronomical intelligence once a person learns to use their subconscious mind. Since that life-changing day, he has visited Vrindavan to pay my homage to Lord Krishna without fail.
I have been in Surgical practice from past 30 years as a Laparoscopic and Endoscopic surgeon (General Surgery) with a special inclination for Endourology.
- Worked as Senior Resident Surgeon (Equivalent to REGISTRAR) in Department of Surgery at Dr. R.M.L. Hospital, India (From Sep’83 – Oct’ 86) and got excellent experience in Plastic surgery and Urology with research in Breast Diseases [1983-85].
- Worked as Resident House Officer (equivalent to SHO) in Accident and Trauma Department (3 years) in R.N.T. Medical College & Controller Associated Group of Hospitals, Udaipur, INDIA.
- Worked as a Surgical Tutor at RML Hospital, New Delhi [1983 – 1985]
- Carried out Laparoscopic workshops for post Graduate students and Surgeons in different parts of India.
- Worked with many Health Care Centers as CHIEF GENERAL SURGEON.
- At present, successfully running a 60 Bedded Multi-Specialty Hospital (Khetarpal Hospital, an ISO 9001:2015 Certified Health Care Organization) at the heart of New Delhi (India), that offers all varieties of Laparoscopic and Endoscopic surgeries (State-Of-The- Art, most contemporary measures undertaken) and all the Medical/Surgical/ Diagnostic/Therapeutic/ Rehabilitative Modes of Therapy to the patient as well.
- Till date have performed more than 25,000 laparoscopic and endoscopic surgeries with excellent results & least complication rates. More than 6500 Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomies (LAVH), More than 9000 Laparoscopic Cholecystectomies have been performed. Amongst frequently undertaken surgeries are Appendectomy, Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL), Nephrectomies, Pneumonectomies, Trans- Urethral Resection Of Prostate, Laparoscopic Gastric Banding, Various Hernia Surgeries, Diagnostic Laparoscopies and laparotomies, Ureteroscopic Removal of Stones, Hydatid cyst removal, All Intestinal and Colonic surgeries, Hysteroscopic Surgeries, Bariatric Surgeries (appx. 150 Bariatric procedures accomplished till date), Paediatric Laparoscopic Surgeries, Endourology surgeries.
- Pioneered and revolutionized the whole concept of laparoscopic surgeries in India by adopting modern techniques, enhanced expertise and innovative approaches.
- Have successfully done 29 Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy in a single day at a Laparoscopic Workshop organized at Muktasar, Punjab, India.
MBBS: RNT Medical College, Udaipur, 1978
MS [GEN SURGERY]: RNT Medical College, Udaipur, 1983
REGISTRATION NO: 7709 [Rajasthan Medical Council, India]
6957 [Delhi Medical Council]
I am holding memberships of some of the esteemed and elite organizations and societies in the world which are devoted to the sole purpose of health care. Of the following enlisted, I am the founder member of the few and regular / life members of the others.
- Member of National Academy of Medical Science (MNAMS)
- International Society Of Surgeons ( Societe Internationale de Chirurgie ISS/ SIC)
- American Uro-gynaecological Society ( AUGS)
- Endo-urological Society, Inc.
- Indian American Urological Association ( IAUA)
- Society Of Laparo-endoscopic Surgeons ( SLS)
- Society Of American Gastrointestinal And Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
- European Association for Endoscopic Surgery ( EAES)
- Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgeons Of Asia ( ELSA)
- International College of Surgeons ( ICS)
- Association Of Minimal Access Surgeons Of India ( AMASI)
- Asia Pacific Hernia Society ( APHS)
- Association Of Surgeons Of India ( ASI)
- Indian Hernia Society (IHS)
- Indian Association Of Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons (IAGES)
- Indian Medical Association (IMA)
- Federation Of Obstetrics and Gynaecological Societies Of India (FOGSI)
- Delhi Gynaecological Endoscopists Society ( DGES)
- Indian Burns Society (IBS)
- International Federation for Surgery Of Obesity (IFSO)
- All India Association For Advancing Research In Obesity ( AIAARO )
- Obesity Surgery Society Of India ( OSSI )
- Indian Society Of Cosmetic Surgery (ISCS)
- American Biographical Institute (ABI)
- Society of Endoscopic & Laparoscopic Surgeons of India (SELSI)
- The association of breast surgeons of India (ABSI) ( A section of ASI)
- FAIS (Fellow of Association Of Surgeons Of India)
- FICS (Fellow Of International College Of Surgeons)
- FACS (Fellowship Of American College Of Surgeons)
- FIMSA (Fellowship Of International Medical Science Academy)
- FIAGES (Fellowship of Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons)
- Mini Fellowship – Bariatric Surgery, Mount Sinai Medical School, New York
- Acted as Faculty Moderator for scientific sessions organized by Society of Laparoscopic Surgeons in 2018 at New York, USA.
- Attended World’s 1st Live Surgical Workshop on Uterine Transplant at Galaxycare Hospital in Pune, India, 2018
- Acted as Faculty Moderator for scientific sessions organized by Society of Laparoscopic Surgeons in 2015 at Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
- Selection of my nomination for poster Abstract at ELSA on the topic “Fish Bone” in Shanghai, 2016.
- Moderated Surgical Session in ‘SURGICON 08’ at New Delhi in Nov’ 2008.
- Elected preceptor for two weeks at Department of Bariatric Surgery, Mount Sinai Medical School, New York in 2008 and received Mini-fellowship in Bariatric Surgery.
- Elected Chairperson at National Conference in Gastroenterology and Hepatobiliary System held at Mata Chanan Devi Hospital, New Delhi in Apr’ 2008.
- Elected Delegate/ faculty in the International Conference-cum-Live Workshop on Minimal Access Surgery, from 17th -20th Mar’ 2005 at AIIMS, New Delhi, India.
- Faculty/Delegate at the GIBE International Workshop and Communing Medical Education program on Laparoscopic Urology Surgery at the All India Institute of Medical Science, New Delhi from 13th to 15th Nov’ 1999.
Awards & Honours
Till date, he has performed more than 25,000 laparoscopic and endoscopic surgeries with excellent results & least complication rates. More than 6500 Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomies (LAVH), More than 9000 Laparoscopic Cholecystectomies have been performed. Amongst frequently undertaken surgeries are Appendectomy, Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL), Nephrectomies, Pneumonectomies, Trans- Urethral Resection Of Prostate, Laparoscopic Gastric Banding, Various Hernia Surgeries, Diagnostic Laparoscopies and laparotomies, Ureteroscopic Removal of Stones, Hydatid cyst removal, All Intestinal and Colonic surgeries, Hysteroscopic Surgeries, Bariatric Surgeries (appx. 150 Bariatric procedures accomplished till date), Paediatric Laparoscopic Surgeries, Endourology surgeries. Pioneered and revolutionized the whole concept of laparoscopic surgeries in India by adopting modern techniques, enhanced expertise and innovative approaches. He has successfully done 29 Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy in a single day at a Laparoscopic Workshop organized at Muktasar, Punjab, India.
Memberships Of Dr. Anil Khetarpal
Personal Life & Interest
Dr. Anil loves to observe life and write my experiences, spanning professional and personal frontiers, in his blog i.e. www.anilkhetarpal.blogspot.in. His blog has gained rave reviews worldwide and the readership has reached >20,000 marks in less than 12 months. It currently stands at over 65,000 readers. He is a thorough and avid reader of medical/ surgical literature, and always keen to infiltrate newer versions of techniques used in the practice of surgery. Tech-savvy with a diploma in computers. A large collection of laparoscopic and endoscopic series of general and uro-gynaeocologic surgeries. He also looks after a quarterly e-Newsletter published by Khetarpal Hospital with a worldwide readership. He has also organized seminars, CMEs, and workshops over various surgical and medical subjects at Khetarpal Hospital and in other parts of the Country